Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Computer to Computer



Just as networking is more useful on the internet because of the multiple extra contacts, the web has become a much more useful tool for brainstorming because of the extra information that might not be right on the tip of your tongue. When meeting in a group for brainstorming, you are restricted to the time available and the stresses of coming up with something in the time allotted, or at least coming up with a plan. When using the internet as a tool for brainstorming, you have more time and there is less pressure. You can browse through all sorts of random information that could possibly connect to your topic.


I know that whenever I am writing a paper, I like to start by gathering all random information in my head. Whichever connection sticks in my brain is the topic I usually chose because it means that it interested me most. I hate writing papers on topics that don't interest me fully because I am never confident with the outcome. I usually browse through random websites to find a way to approach a paper that will interest me. I may not be interested in the topic, but there is always a little part of it that I can find interesting and want to know more, it just takes time to look.


When working independently, people have the freedom to browse without the pressure of getting something done within the meeting time. When I have had group projects before, it has always been thoroughly frustrating to find meeting times because of everyone's busy lifestyles. We don't get to make our projects as good as possible because we have to decide on plans during class times or the 5 minutes afterwards. The pressure of meetings simply makes them less productive in my opinion.

3 comments:

A|B said...

Katie, i understand your frustration when it comes to group meetings but thats the way businsses are being handled today, it's a skill we need.
Unfortunately finding time for meetings and brainstorming sessions is hard but technology has allowed us to do this almost without interruption. Ideas can flow in ones mind and we have today the ability of posting them online just like now.
Individual brainstorms are not as successfull as we might think they are, its always important to see someone else's point of view.

Stephen said...

I really like your approach to online brainstorming. I never thought of it from the prospective you provide. I do like the concept that you can return and provide content and ideas at your liesure online. Maybe you'll be more productive, maybe not. I just fear that the lack of committal time may result in a lack of productivity. But, anything is possible- it all depends on the people in a group. The opportunity is there for more ideas, yes... but I feel the same is possible if you would have a computer with you at your group- you can still look stuff up as you are talking to your group. So basically, I'm giving points for both sides- I'm at a loss to as which is in essence more effective.

Adam Saxe said...

When I am writing a paper the first thing I always do is find a way to find interest in the topic. I find tehre is a side of every topic which you can find interest in. Then the second thing I do is search the internet...