Monday, February 18, 2008

Addicted to the internet

Creating a cybertwin sounds slightly ridiculous to me.  However, I also have not entered the world of online dating and am not too enthralled with the social phenomenon of my generation, Facebook and MySpace.  I'm not going to lie, I do visit Facebook every few days but I definitely do not rely on it.  My friends will leave me messages and I might  not get to writing on their wall for almost a week...if ever.



The idea of creating a twin in the internet world does not surprise me or excite me.  It is an interesting idea but it is nothing that I would ever do.  Why create a personality online so that you can be there one hundred percent of the time  This is where the world is becoming too addicted to the computer and uses it a san escape from being a normal social human being.  As I posted in an earlier entry, I do not think that the internet is causing people to have less useful knowledge than earlier years, but i do think that if people really create cyber twins, it is a complete possibility.


Creating a cuber twin would mean that every time you come back to the computer you have to review the conversations that occurred while you were gone.  The computer could misrepresent yourself and there would be no way to undo it.  I am very skeptical of this new idea.  I feel like people would begin to not worry enough about how they present themselves in their day to day life and begin to spend even more of their lives staring at a computer screen.  Would people know if they were talking to a twin and not a real person?  Would there be extra safety precautions to prevent sexual predators from creating a cyber twin?


Also, there are more than five personalities that a person could have.  The new program only "lets people pick one of five basic personalities, such as "warm-hearted, intellectual" or "cheeky, down to earth,"and then have that choice act as a proxy to friends or strangers."  This program has not been developed enough and through through.  There is a potential for success but with the internet crazed crazies in the world but there is also a large potential for unsafe operations.

The description of the article about Cybertwins is, "If spending too much time online turns you into your evil twin, then it might be time for a "cybertwin.""  This subheading is a false thought in my opinion.  The idea of the cybertwin only allows the people who have to go to work on a day to day basis to be online every hour of every day.  This will turn people into being obsessive about the internet, every day only looking forward to getting home to read the conversations that went on while they were at work.   This program would cause people to become even more addicted to the internet than they already are.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

I am in total agreement with this post. Where is the line drawn where the internet becomes hurtful towards society and knowledge? People will use software like SL and CyberTwin to escape the real world and invest all their time and devotion towards the digital world. This will lead to social malnurishment and a hindered society at best. People will no longer be able to interact with others in the real world as they once had before.

The internet is being degraded from what it used to be. What happened to the good old days of sharing information that was useful? Now we have (to me) useless applications on top of useless information (I'd rather have useless information- it might actually be useful to someone in the end... unlike learning the digital habits of someone else).

Adam Saxe said...

yeah, i think it's really geeky... I don't know who would actually do that. I think it sounds like a cool idea, but just an idea. I can't see it really becoming popular.

I also agree with the extreme case that cybertwin could be used to escape the real world. Once again, I think that is an extreme and will not be done on the regular, but in certain instances.

Alyssa said...

I definately agree with this post. We are becoming or might already be an internet addicted society. We can barely keep our eyes away from it. When we are on the computer it is hard to focus on your designated task because of all the distractions of aim and facebook.